http://www.taasa.org/intranet/main.php P i n k • F e m i n i s t: The Cross

Saturday, October 14, 2006

 

The Cross


THE CROSS

To the Mothers of the Martyred Dead upon the Field of Battle

JOSEPHINE TURCK BAKER

My flesh cries out for its own flesh!
My blood demands its own heart's blood!
The thundrous roar of cannon is the answer to my call.
Give me back my flesh and blood!
To bring forth I did pass through dark Gethsemane,
And bear with Him the tortures of the Cross;
And to what end? to add one more unto
The martyred dead upon the field of battle.
His dear face, covered with my kisses,
Upturned in marble coldness, blood-stained,
The death-dew gathering on his brow.
His sweet voice, lingering fondly "Farewell, Mother!" forever
stilled.

poem from the Book by Vincent Godfrey Burns; Macmillan, 1930

Comments:
this poem is so heart-rending. every death on the field of battle is the death of somebody's child.
 
Yes, not many people consider the meaning of the Mothers Day Proclamation and the call for mothers to join. I wonder how it became all about Hallmark anyway?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?